Tuesday, December 13, 2011

And so it begins....

Hello world! The Internet and myself have decided the give birth... to a blog...

Welcome to Poor Little Thrift Girl.

As someone who absolutely adores fashion, I would like nothing more than to come home at the end of the day and write about how my shopping spree at Holt Renfrew went, a behind the scenes look at at Marc Jacobs and my personal interview with Anna Wintour, but alas, like many a poor girl living in Edmonton, Alberta, I haven't any status or a penny to my name.

I'm sure you're asking yourself "Marlaena, is it possible to be fabulous even if you can only go to thrift stores and most of your meals come from dumpsters?"

I reply, "You betcha!"

As a certified treasure hunter I'm here to share with you my infinite wisdom of thrifting, bargain bins, 2 for 1's, hand me downs and just plain stealing from people (note: you don't actually have to steal from people)

Here is just a sampling of some of my thrifted looks


I call this look: Electric Librarian

Glasses: Fake glasses on sale at costume store
Scarf: Value Village
Necklace: On sale at Ten Thousands Villages (non profit organization)
T-shirt: Value Village
Cardigan: Borrowed from mom
Skirt: Value Village




This look is entitled: School girl on acid

Mini cape: Ladies Fashions Consignment Store
Vintage 50's pearl and rhinestone collar (that's right): My grandmothers
Sweater vest: Value Village
Floral Dress: Robes and Relics consignment store


Frackin' Rad. No other way to put it. A freakin' drag queen ok'd this outfit.

Shirt: My fabulous aunt
Belt: Value Village
Pants: Second Suit consignment in Vancouver
Socks: Christmas present
Ridiculous Amazing Shoes: Value Village


Love child of Marlene Dietrich and nameless disco dancer... Boomski...

Turban with vintage clip on earring for pizazz (+1 fabulous): Divine (vintage store.)
Necklace: Gift from friend
Dress: VV (value village)
Bangle: Ten Thousand Villages
Tights: On sale at Suzy Shier
Shoes: VV

So yeah... I feel like I got cred.

I'm really just hoping to have fun sharing my poor person experiences with you all, like: "today I bought an amazing vintage fur coat at VV, but then my debit card got rejected at subway after trying to buy a $3 sandwich and I had to sleep at a friend's house because I didn't have enough bus fare."

Yeah... kind of a true story....

I sincerely hope you enjoy.

Til next time sweeties,

-Marlaena, a.k.a The Poor Little Thrift Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment