Sunday, January 8, 2012

Kim and Marlaena's Grand Ol' Shopping Spree!

The other day, my darling friend Kim and I had ourselves a lovely time at VV

Check it!

Here is Kim having herself a gander in the dress section! If you want to have a little hunt, just stay in your size, but if you want a giant scavenge, look in all the sizes! Things get misplaced and sizes end up in wrong sections, or you might find an extra small dress you could use a napkin!


The video below is me demonstrating proper thrifting technique 


Compelling stuff, kid.

Now I have to let you know, I would normally be a lot faster if I wasn't holding a camera. The point of this video was really to show not to linger too much. If it doesn't really impress you that much at first glance, it most likely isn't worth your time, especially if you aren't looking for anything in particular.

You also don't want to keep going back to the changing rooms. Look through all the sections that require removal of clothing first before moving on.

Let's have a look at the looks!

First up! We have Kim in a darling plaid/chekered skirt (buttons!) and lovely lace top

Work it.
Now, Kim and I have slightly different styles. Kim is simple, elegant and has a great sense of colors and patterns that really work well with her. I dress like a gogo dancing, drag queen/hippie housewife (only most of the time)

The fun thing about giant thrift stores is finding truly quirky items that you're not really sure you're going to do with.

Take the skirt below for example

Where am I?
It's a flippin' buttoned bubble skirt!

Unless some sort of club, cult, gang or a 60's all girl singing group is giving up their wardrobe, you won't really see the same of anything. That's the beauty of it! You can find something totally bizarre you're willing to take a chance on because it's cheap enough!

Next we have Kim in yet another great skirt! Check the price! Can you say "holla fo yo dollaaaaa?!"

You reply with "I can but I won't."

This would go great with the headband I got you for x-mas. Just sayin'.
So remember the dress I picked out from the super-special-awesome video from before?
Weeeeeeelll....

When I actually tried it on, I wasn't too impressed.

Well this does nothing for my calves. Also, what the fuck is the purpose of this string?
Sometimes when we have a certain expectation for something we like, we try and trick ourselves into thinking it's flattering. The simple fact is, if it doesn't look great with you standing normally in front of the mirror, it doesn't look that great and you'll never wear it.

*in french accent* Eh, what can you do?
Sure it's ten dollars, but still it adds up. If I spend ten bucks on a dress that don't feel totally great about, it's ten dollars less I can spend on other clothes and Vietnamese subs.

TRY THINGS ON! SO IMPORTANT!

Now that we're done our serious portion of this post, lets take a look at....

Marlaena's Funhouse of Hilarious Value Village Finds!

Yes, I'll admit, not everything we find at a vv is exactly stylish. 
Below we have a couple of skirts (yes their skirts) most likely from the sluts 'r' us collection

A very little amount of team spirit on the left and "man I feel like a cold one if she's drinking one too," on the right

Now we something we foolishly believe is just a lavenderish gray boring shirt 

Meh..
Oh.. It's so much more...

It's a fucking onsie!

Sweet beard of christ...
I weep for humanity. 

It's from the Kardashian collection from bebe. Might explain why they wanted to rape my wallet of 24.99!

(Not gonna lie, if it was five bucks, I would have totally gotten it)

Last but certainly not least, is a necklace I adored simply because it's so weird.

You can bend it into any shape you can imagine!

Fake harmonica holder

Snake.
I got a dress, a skirt, a t-shirt a vest, a cardigan, a scarf and a belt all for 43.99 (lil' pricey)

If the day couldn't get any better,  I ran into one of my dearest friends Hannah!

Well this is awkward. Oh wait, I actually like you. Nevermind, girlfriend!



Hannah is quite the VV Boutique extraordinaire herself, so I asked her for some wise words and she replied in italic writing with...


"Try it on! It can be hard to find original stuff when you are a bigger girl, but thrifting can be a great alternative to plus size shopping. "


She's nice to look at but she misses peoples parties.....  hint hint Hannah...
"Know your style. Value village isn't going to show you what is hip. You have to go out and hunt."

"Have fun. It's only fashion."


Well said amiga, well said. (If she starts a blog I', f**ked)

Hope you enjoyed this adventure and remember: Try new things, try things on and never trust a Kardashian with fashion tips.

-Marlaena a.k.a, The Poor Little Thrift Girl.

(On a side note, I died my hair green. Just thought I would rip that band aid off quickly.)

We're calling it "Romantic Grunge"



No comments:

Post a Comment