Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A thrifty inspiration: Inner awkward 14 year old.

While scrambling to get ready for work this morning, I noticed a little number that has been neglected for quite sometime. A red dress from Forever 21 I bought on my 14th birthday.


It was one of my favorites. The scarlet red is an absolute killer color. The oriental inspired pattern at the hem that disappears near the waist is divine, (although, at the time my scrawny young self was probably thinking more along the lines of "Wow! This dress makes me look like I have boobs!")

That is does little one. That it does....

While I reminisced, I was trying to figure out what to wear it with.

Then I thought "Why not recreate Lil' Marlaena?"

And that I did. I paired the dress with a patterned shirt from Urban Outfitters I got on sale for five dollars (time travel high five, Marlaena!)

Keeee-ute!
Many variations of this look was essentially my uniform at the time.

I loved The Beatles, I loved daydreaming and I loved not wearing what everyone else was wearing.

Though it has been updated (Black tights, brown boots and lack of gross black eyeliner that I thought looked 60's chic,) it still has the same feel. Carefree and youthful.


You can thrift everything, even your past. (shit that's deep)
Why not look to your sweet young self, whoever she may be. A nerd, a jock, a hippie or a crackwhore!
(Maybe not the last one)

Every phase we go through, gives us the style we have today. You have to go through a lot looks to find out what works for you and if you're finding yourself stuck, why not look back?

I've always considered myself a fashionista, though I think I'm a little more sophisticated now than I was back then don't you think?

      The old Marlaena on the left, the new and slightly improved Marlaena on the right       
Have fun! It's so stressful having to look professional all the time, let go and be a kid every now and then! Remember pretties: It's ok to look back, as long as it's not crack!

-Marlaena a.k.a The Poor Little Thrift Girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment